As the winter sets in, HVAC systems are operating under increasing pressure and it’s often at this time of year that things start to go wrong – especially in buildings where systems have been poorly maintained or neglected.
Whatever the cause, the failure of an Air Handling Unit can be expensive, frustrating and inconvenient to building users.
Investing in a programme of Planned Preventative Maintenance (PPM) can significantly reduce the likelihood and impact of system failure not just in the winter months but all year round. And it can save a serious amount of money too.
“organizations that have implemented comprehensive maintenance programs find that their total costs can be as much as 50 percent lower than the costs for those organizations that continue maintain equipment reactively” Source: www.facilitiesnet.com
Here’s how PPM saves money:
- By identifying and addressing smaller issues, larger more expensive problems are avoided.
- Systems run more efficiently which saves on utility bills. HVAC costs represent around 40% of the energy use in commercial buildings this can mean a substantial saving.
For example: air dampers need regular maintenance to respond to the temperature control system’s demand for ventilation air. If the damper linkage is out of alignment more ventilation air will be supplied than is needed and the system will be forced to use more energy to condition it.
- Equipment life is extended so it won’t need replacing as often.
Other benefits of PPM:
- By eliminating nasty surprises it makes budgeting for maintenance costs easier.
- Bad practices can be identified and rectified before they cause problems.
- Ensures compliance with workplace health and safety regulations.
Make it your new year’s resolution to work smarter in 2017
CFP are the air filter management professionals. Contact our friendly team today on 0161 406 5050 to talk to us about a partnership to take care of all you your air filter maintenance requirements.